Professor of Renaissance Studies University College Cork
Cork, Ireland tel. +353 21 420 5139
PhD: University of Chicago 1986 AM/AB: Syracuse University 1976, 78
Certificate: Datini Institute (Economic History), Prato, Italy, 1982
Spring 2009- SIF Professor of Renaissance Studies, University College, Cork, IE
Fall 2009: Distinguished Visiting Professor of Italian, University of Virginia
Fall 2002-Spring 2009 Jacobs University Bremen,
Professor of History
Fall 2000-Spring, 2002 Medici Archive Project: Chief of Research
Fall 1991-Spring 2000 Harvard University, Associate Prof. in History and Social Studies
Fall 1990-Spring 1991 Cleveland State
University (Visiting Assistant Professor of History)
Fall 1989-Spring 1990 Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (member, Sch. of Hist. St.)
Fall 1985-Spring 1987 University of Notre Dame (vis. asst prof., history)
MAJOR FELLOWSHIPS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
Fall, 1998- Spring,
1999 Jean Monnet Fellowship, European University Institute (Florence)
Fall, 1994-Spring 1995 Rome Prize
Fall, 1991-Spring 1993 NEH Translation Grant
Fall 1989-Spring 1990 NEH (Institute for Advanced Study)
Fall 1987-Spring 1988 Fulbright-Hays Research Scholar, University of Venice, Italy
Fall 1981-Spring 1982 Delmas Foundation
Fall, 1980-Summer, 1981 Fulbright-Hays Full Grant
1. Science, Politics and Society in
Eighteenth-Century Italy (Garland Publishing, 1991).
2. Italy in the Baroque: Selected Readings (Garland Publishing, 1995).
3. The Social History of Skepticism: Experience and Doubt in Early Modern Culture (Johns Hopkins, 1999)
4. Morandi’s Last Prophecy and the End of Renaissance Politics (Princeton, 2002)
5. Peste e società a Firenze nel Seicento (Florence: Polistampa Edizioni, 2001)
6. The Politics of Information in Early Modern Europe, edited with S. Baron (Routledge, 2001)
7. Science and the Marketplace in Early Modern Italy (Lexington Books, 2001)
8. Energy and Culture (Ashgate Publishers, 2006)
9. Amore e guerra nel tardo rinascimento: le lettere di don Giovanni de’ Medici e Livia Vernazza (Florence: Polistampa 2009)
10. The Dissemination of News and the Emergence of 'Contemporaneity'in Early Modern Europe (Ashgate 2010)
60. “Science and Astrology: A Renaissance Problem,” in Liah Greenfeld and Marcel Herbst, eds., The Institution of Science and the Science of Institutions: The Legacy of Joseph Ben David, Transaction Books, 2011
59. “Scienza parlata, scienza scritta: Il Giornale de’ letterati nelle aule universitarie,” in GLI volume
58. “Talking Science at the University of Padua in the Age of Antonio Vallisneri,” History of Universities, 117-138
57. “Donna Livia’s New Clothes” Assonitis, ed., Medici Archive anthology
56. “Olbers und die Wissenschaftler seiner Zeit,“ Olbers Nachrichten 2008
55. “Die Entstehung der Gleichzeitigkeit in der Frühmoderne”, Boening et al., eds., Presse und Geschichte. Leistungen und Perspektiven der historischen Presseforschung, Bremen 2008, pp. 49-66
54. “Learned Journals and Teaching at the University of Padua in the Early Eighteenth Century,” Jeanne Peiffer, ed., Les journaux savants dans l’Europe des XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles. Formes de la communication et agents de la construction des saviors, Brepols
53. “Narrazione e verità: Don Giovanni de’ Medici e Galileo,” Bruniana e Campanelliana, 2 (2008): 391-405
52. “Le lezioni universitarie del Vallisneri,” in Antonio Vallisneri: La figura, il contesto, le immagini storiografiche Ivano dal Prete, ed. Franco Angeli 2008, pp. 33-50
51. “Art and information brokerage in the career of Don Giovanni de' Medici. In H. Cools, M. Keblusek, & B. Noldus (Eds.), Your Humble Servant, Agents in Early Modern Europe, Hilversum: Uitgeverij Verloren, 2006 (pp. 81-96).
50. “Useful Science and its Opposite,” The Fable of the Market, ed. T. Rommel and P. Nolte
49. “Sources and Methods in Information History,” News and Politics in Early Modern Europe, 1500-1800, ed. Koopmans, Groningen, 2005, pp. 29-46
48. “Le battaglie perse del principe Don Giovanni,” Quaderni Storici 115 (2004): 83-118
47. “The Morandi Affair and Urban VIII’s Rome,” Roma moderna e contemporanea 11 (2003): 145-66
46. “Accademie scientifiche venete nel Settecento,” Studi Veneziani n.s. 37 (2003)
45. “Printing and Publishing,” “Pietro Giannone,” “Ludovico Antonio Muratori,” Europe 1450 to 1789: Encyclopedia of the Early Modern World, ed. J. Dewald, Scribners, 2003
44. "Astrology and the End of Science in Galileo's Italy," Thomas Kuehn and John Marino, eds., A Renaissance of conflicts: Law, religion and culture in late medieval, Renaissance and early modern history, Toronto, Center for Renaissance and Reformation Studies, 2004, pp. 395-420.
43. "Campus revolts in the 1960s," Encyclopedia of Children and Childhood, Paula S. Fass, ed. Gale Group, 2003, vol. 1, pp. 127-129
42. "Astrologia," Enciclopedia Italiana Storia della Scienza, Rome, 2003, Vol. VI, pp. 606-612.
41. "The Public Sphere and the Organization of Knowledge," John Marino, ed., Early Modern Italy Oxford University Press, 2002
40. "How it All Began," Correspondence (American Academy of Arts and Sciences), vol. 6 (2000)
39. "Idee e mercato nella recente storiografia culturale della prima età moderna," Rivista storica italiana 112 (2000): 603-35.
38. "Media, Information and Belief in Early Modern Europe," Media History (forthcoming)
37. "Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat: History and Imagination in Baroque Italy," Seventeenth-Century Studies 15 (2000): 90-115.
36. "The Wages of War: Battles, Prints and Entrepreneurs in Late Seventeenth-Century Venice," Word and Image, 17 (2001): 7-24
35. "Student Movements," Encyclopedia ofEuropean Social History, vol. 2, ed. Peter Stearns, Gale Group, 2000
34. "Francesco Antonio Zaccaria," Lexikon für Theologie und Kirche (Freiburg: Herder, 2000), vol. 10.
33. "Italian Gazettes," "Jesuit Publishing," "Academies and Salons: Italy," Encyclopedia of the Enlightenment (Oxford, 2002)
32. "The Ptolemaic Astrological Tradition in the Seventeenth Century: A Case from Rome," International Journal of the Classical Tradition 5 (1999): 528-48.
31. "Les réseaux d'information politique à Rome au XVIIe siècle," in Les Gazettes Européennes et l'Information Politique de l'Ancien Régime, Centre d'Études du XVIIIe Siècle, Université Lumière-Lyon 2, 1999, ed. Pierre Rétat
30. "Veritas Filia Temporis: Experience and Belief in Early Modern Culture," Journal of the History of Ideas 1999
29. "De bonne main: la circulation des actualités a Rome au dix-septième siècle," Annales. Histoire, Sciences Sociales no. 6 (Nov-Déc 1999): 1317-44
28. "Clement XII," in Notable Popes. The Great Popes Through History, ed. Frank J. Coppa, (Westport, CT, Greenwood Publishing Group 2002)
27. "Pietro Giannone," "Girolamo Tiraboschi," and "Enlightenment Historiography," in D. R. Woolf et al., eds., The Encyclopedia of Historiography (2 vols. NY: Garland 1998), pp. 284-6, 365-6, 892
26. "Francesco Antonio Zaccaria," Jesuit Science and the Republic of Letters, ed. Mordechai Feingold (MIT Press, 2003), pp. 433-74.
25. "La deuxième revolution de la lecture en Italie au dix-huitième siècle," Révue d'histoire moderne et contemporaine, 49 (2002): 69-88
24. "Reading and Reviewing History in the Early Modern Period," Rivista di storia della storiografia moderna 18 (1997): 51-68.
23. "Political Publishing and its Critics in Seventeenth-Century Italy," Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome 1997: 175-93.
22. "Printing and Entrepreneurialism in Seventeenth-Century Italy," Journal of European Economic History (1996), no. 3, pp. 569-97.
21. "Gli studi sul libro nei paesi anglosassoni," La fabbrica del libro (1996) no. 1, pp. 24-9
20. "Comunicazione scientifica e Seicento italiano," Intersezioni, no. 1 (1996)
19. "The Communications Revolution in Italian Science," History of Science 33 (1995): 469-96
18. "Processo a Galileo," Belfagor 51 (1996): 1-21
17. "La Storia letteraria d'Italia e la riabilitazione della scienza gesuitica," Rivista storica italiana 107 (1995): 289-331
16. "Lettori e letture nel Settecento italiano," in Mario Infelise and Paola Marini, eds, L'editoria del Settecento e i Remondini, Atti del Convegno, Bassano 28-29 Settembre, 1990. Bassano: Ghetina & Tassotti (1992). Pp. 17-37.
15. "L'unificazione di un mercato editoriale. I libri contabili del giornalista Apostolo Zeno," Società e storia, 53 (1991), pp. 579-620.
14. "Il libro scientifico," in Remondini. Un editore del Settecento a cura di M. Infelise and P. Marini (Milan: Electa, 1990), pp. 324-329.
13. "From Literary Criticism to Systems Theory: Twenty Years of Journalism History," Journal of the History of Ideas, 51 (1990): 461-86.
12. "Revisiting the Forgotten Centuries: Recent Work on Early Modern Tuscany," European History Quarterly, v. 20 no. 4 (1990): 519-50.
11. "Pariati a Venezia," in G. Gronda, ed., Pietro Pariati da Reggio di Lombardia (Bologna: Il Mulino, 1990)
10. "Social Control and the Italian Universities, from Renaissance to Illuminismo," Journal of Modern History, 61 (1989), pp. 205-39.
9. "La scienza in aula nella rivoluzione scientifica: dallo Sbaraglia al Vallisneri," Quaderni per la storia dello Studio di Padova, 21 (1988), pp. 23-44.
8. Introduction, notes, and translation of Galileo Galilei, The Assayer, in E. Cochrane, C. M. Gray and M. A. Kishlansky, eds., Readings in Western Civilization, vol. 6: Early Modern Europe: Crisis of Authority (University of Chicago Press, 1987)), pp. 526-41.
7. "Crisis and Reform in Eighteenth Century Venice: The Venetian Patriciate Strikes Back," Journal of Social History 5 (1986), pp. 323-33.
6. "The University of Padua in History and in Recent Volumes of the Quaderni," History of Universities 6 (1986), pp. 169-85.
5. "Le Accademie," Storia della cultura veneta, vol. 5: Il Settecento, ed., G. Arnaldi and M. Pastore Stocchi (Vicenza, Neri Pozza, 1986), pp. 77-90.
4. "L'assistenza sociale," Dueville,ed. C.Povolo (Vicenza, N. Pozza, 1986)
3. "Science Teaching as a Career at Padua in the Early Eighteenth Century," History of Universities 4 (1984), pp. 115-151.
2. "Giornalismo, università e organizzazione della cultura: tentativi di formare un'accademia scientifica veneta all'inizio del '700," Archivio veneto, 114 no. 155 (1983), pp. 5-41.
1. "The Giornale de' letterati d'Italia (1710-40): Journalism and 'Modern' Culture in the Early Eighteenth Century Veneto," Studi veneziani n.s. 6 (1982)
61. Symbolism. An International Annual of Critical Aesthetics Deborah Parker, Michelangelo’s Letters
60. Renaissance Quarterly, Randall, ed., English Military Pamphlets
59. Renaissance Studies, Romaniello, ed., Contested Spaces of Nobility in Early Modern Europe
58. Catholic Historical Review, 97, Number 4, October 2011, pp. 826-827: Ludovico Antonio Muratori, Carteggio con Quadrio.. Ripa.
57. Renaissance Quarterly, Vol. 63, No. 4 (Winter 2010), pp. 1305-1306: Varchi, Errori del Giovio nella Storia
56: Catholic Historical Review - Volume 97, Number 2, April 2011 Scnhurr Religionskonflikt,
55. Isis, 102, No. 1, March 2011, p. 168: Antonella Romano and Luce Giard, eds., Rome et la science moderne: entre Renaissance et Lumières
54. Journal of Modern History: Emmanuelle Chapron, “Ad utilità pubblica”
53. Renaissance Studies, Ireland in the Renaissance,
52.Isis, Ottaviani, Alessandro, and Trabucco, Oreste. Theatrum Naturae
51. H-Italy, H-Net Reviews. November, 2009. Caroline Callard, Le Prince et la république
50. International Journal of the Classical Tradition, 61.1 (December 2008): 34-36 Stefanie Siegmund, The Medici State and the Ghetto of Florence
49. History of Universities, , 316-20: Antonio Vallisneri, Epistolario, ed. D. Generali
48. International Journal of the Classical Tradition, 16 (2009): 604-5: Cao, Gian Marco, Scepticism and Orthodoxy: Gianfrancesco Pico as a Reader of Sextus Empiricus
47.Catholic Historical Review, April 2009, pp. 357-8: Massimo Mazzotti, Gaetana Agnesi: Mathematician of God
46. Journsl of Mathematical Psychology, 52, 2008, 337-8: Cambridge Encyclopedia of Expertise
45. Renaissance Quarterly, 2007: pp. 641-43. Klaus Bergdolt and Walther Ludwig, eds. Zukunftsvoraussagen in der Renaissance.
44. Journal of Interdisciplinary History (2005): Yvonne Levey, Propaganda and the Jesuit Baroque
43. Renaissance Quarterly 57 (2004): 1473-4: T. Campanella, Opuscoli astrologici, ed. G. Ernst
42. The Classical Bulletin Anthony Grafton, Cardano’s Cosmos
41. Catholic Historical Review Paul Grendler, The Universities of the Italian Renaissance
40: Catholic Historical Review 88 (2002): 782-3: On the Suppression of the Society of Jesus. A Contemporary Account by Giulio Cesare Cordara
39. Catholic Historical Review 88 (2002): 780-2: Alfonso M. de Liguori e la civiltà letteraria del Settecento, ed. P. Giannantonio
38.International Journal of the Classical Tradition, 8 (2002): 660-1. Paul Richard Blum, Giordano Bruno
Journal of the Classical Tradition, Albert Van Helden, The Sun in the
36. Journal of Interdisciplinary History, 32 (2002): 476-7. Tommaso Astarita, Village Justice
35. American Historical Review, 106 (2001): 1494-5. Shearer West, ed., Italian Culture in Northern Europe in the Eighteenth Century
34. Reviews in History, Stone, Vico's Cultural History
33. Isis 88 (1997): 545-6, Luca Ciancio, Autopsie della terra
32. Journal of Modern History 4 (1997):806-808: L. Braida, Il commercio delle idee; R. Chartier, ed., Histoires de la lecture: un bilan des recherches; Hans Erich Bödeker, Histoires du livre: nouvelles orientations
31. American Historical Review 101 (1996): 1578, John Stoye, Marsigli's Europe
30. Sixteenth-Century Journal 26 (1995): 982-3, Maria Rosa Di Simone, Legislazione e riforme nel Trentino del Settecento
29. Catholic Historical Review 81 (1995), pp. 288-91: Francesco Chiovaro, ed. Storia della Congregazione del Santissimo Redentore, vol. 1.
28. Journal of Modern History 67 (1995): 193-5, Marina Roggero, Insegnar lettere: ricerche di storia dell'istruzione in età moderna
27. Società e storia 66 (1994): 892-4, William V. Hudon, Marcello Cervini and Ecclesiastical Government
26. Journal of Modern History, 66 (1994): 404-7. Cesare Beccaria tra Milano e Europa: Convegno di studi per il 250o anniversario della nascita (Bari: Cariplo-Laterza, 1990), Bernardo Sordi, L'amministrazione illuminata (Milan: Giuffrè, 1991).
25. European History Quarterly 24 (1994): 156-58: David Gentilcore, From Bishop to Witch: The System of the Sacred in Early Modern Terra d'Otranto (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 1992)
24. Church History 63 (1994): 94-7: Arthur Field, The Origins of the Platonic Academy in Florence
23. Journal of Modern History 65 (1993): 873-4: Lodovica Braida, Le guide del tempo: Produzione, contenuti e forme degli almanacchi piemontesi nel Settecento (Turin: Palazzo Carignano, 1989).
22. Annali di italianistica 11 (1993): 321-323, Elizabeth Cropper, ed., Documentary Culture: Florence and Rome from Ferdinand I to Alexander VII
21 Catholic Historical Review, 78 (1992): 664-665: Alfonso M. de' Liguori e la società civile del suo tempo. Atti del Convegno internazionale per il Bicentenario della morte del santo (1787-1987), ed. Pompeo Giannantonio, 2 vols. (Florence: Olschki, 1990)
20 Journal of Religion 72 no. 4 (1992): 586-587: Hanns Gross, Rome in the Age of Enlightenment: The Post-Tridentine Syndrome and the Ancien Regime
19. Journal of Modern History 63 (1991): 590-2: L'educazione delle donne ...nell'Italia dell'Ottocento.
18. Studi veneziani 19 (1990): 324-6: James S. Grubb, Firstborn of Venice: Vicenza in the Early Renaissance State.
17. Studi veneziani n.s. 20 (1990): 427-8: Victor Mallia-Milanes, ed. and Intro., [Giacomo Cappello], Descrittione di Malta, Anno 1716, A Venetian Account
16. Journal of Modern History 62 (1990): 578-9 Peter Burke and Roy Porter, eds., The Social History of Language
15. Isis 79 (1988): 732-33: Mario Pavone, Introduzione al pensiero di Giambattista Hodierna
14. Journal of Modern History (1991): 162-3: Marina Roggero, Il sapere e la virtù: stato, università e professioni nel Piemonte tra Settecento ed Ottocento
13. Studi veneziani, n.s. 18 (1989): 354-5: Peter Burke, The Historical Anthropology of Early Modern Italy
12: Quaderni per la storia dello Studio di Padova 21 (1988): 171-3: G. A. Salandin and M. Pancino, Il "Teatro" di filosofia sperimentale di Giovanni Poleni.
11. Sixteenth Century Journal, 19 (1988): 269-70: R. Burr Litchfield, The Emergence of a Bureaucracy: the Florentine Patricians, 1530-1790.
10. Annali di Italianistica (1987): A. Scaglione, Liberal Arts and the Jesuit College System.
9. Journal of Religion 68 (1987): 110-11: William Wallace, Galileo and his Sources.
8. Journal of Modern History (1987): -744: L. Guerci et al, Le monarchie assolute, and C. Zaghi, L'Italia di Napoleone dalla Cisalpina al Regno.
7. Annali di italianistica 4 (1986) : 306-7: Francesco De Sanctis tra etica e cultura.
6. History of Universities 5 (1985): 212-13: F. De Vivo, L'insegnamento della pedagogia all'Università di Padova.
5. Isis 76 (1985):276-7: Vincenzo Ferrone, Scienza, natura, religione.
4. Catholic Historical Review (1984): 343-4: G. Politi, et al., eds. Timore e carità: i poveri nell'Italia moderna.
3. Annali veneti 1 (1984): 202-3: P. Preto, ed., La Valle del Chiampo.
2. Studi veneziani n.s. 8 (1984): 479-80: B. C. I. Ravid, Economics and Toleration in Seventeenth Century Venice.
1. Rivista storica italiana 95 (1983): 545-9: M. Infelise, I Remondini di Bassano.
GENERAL AUDIENCE MEDIA
"The Knowledge Problem.” Blue Print, 1 (2003), no. 1, pp. 1-10
Interview on The Ark, ABC broadcasting system (Australia), Wed. 02.04.2003
Interview on Stargate: linea di confine, TV La7 (Italy) 08.06.2003
“Voting in the USA,” Bremen World Trade Center 02.11.04
“So oder so. Einstein: Genie mit Widerspruchen,” (in German) with Peter Schupp, Sichtweisen series, Die Glocke auditorium, Bremen, 07.03.05
Interview entitled “Es muss Zeit bleiben, um zu denken,” full page in Weser Kurier, Freitag 29 Juli 2005
“Bildung und Universität” (in German), 100-jähriges Jubiläum Hermann-Böse-Gymnasium, Bremen
“Deutschland-USA“ Bremen United States Center, Bremen World Trade Center, Nov. 16 2005
“Warum gibt es Streit und Krieg” (in German, with Alexander Lerchl) Bremen KinderUni, 8 Feb. 2006
“Columbus and his Voyages”, Bremen United States Center, Bremen World Trade Center, Nov. 18, 2006
Introduction to: Bremen Model European Parliament: Baltic Region, Hermann Böse Gymnasium Bremen, November 2006
Co-organizer and speaker, Exhibition, From Field to Universty Campus, IUB University Club, Nov 2006.
Emcee, United States Election Event, 27 September 2008, participation by Consular Agency and American Consulate Hamburg, Jacobs University Campus
“History of Philanthropy”, Beyond the Pond. Jacobs University Alumni Magazine, 2008.
“Der Weltburger ist die Zukunft: Politologe Welzel und Us-Historiker Dooley im Interview,“ Weser-Kurier 06.11.08
CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS
"Il Giornale de' letterati come accademia," Istituto di Studi religiosi, Università degli Studi di Padova, 28 April 1982
"Crisis and Reform in Eighteenth Century Italy: The Case of Venice," joint session of SIHS and AHA, December 1984
"From Renaissance to Enlightenment: Politics, Science, and Society in Italy at the Turn of the Eighteenth Century," Notre Dame University, Dec. 1985
"Social Control and the Universities: the Case of Italy," at Notre Dame University, December 1986 Also at: Central Michigan University, December 1986
"Giornalismo nel Seicento," Facoltà di Scienze Politiche, University of Padua, Nov. 30, 1987.
"Public Opinion in Early Modern Italy," History Department, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, January 31, 1988
"Stampa e censura nel Cinquecento," Facoltà di Lettere e Filosofia, University of Venice, December 10, 1988
"Revisiting the Forgotten Centuries," joint session of SIHS, Renaissance Society of America, and AHA, Cincinnati, December 1988
"What's News? Or, Venice and the Origins of Journalism," The British Center, Venice, Italy, 17 April, 1989
"Franco Venturi and Eighteenth-Century Italy," paper at joint session, on Franco Venturi, of ASECS and AHA, San Francisco, Dec. 9 1989
"Scientific Communications in Early Modern Europe," History Dept., Georgia Institute of Technology, Feb. 1, 1990
"Public Opinion in Early Modern Italy," History Department, Harvard University, Spring, 1991
"Giovanni Lami and the Catholic Enlightenment," Catholic Historical Association Annual Meeting, Oxford, Mississippi, Spring, 1991
"Characterizing Italian Cities and their Culture," Symposium organized by the Architecture and Urban Environment of Sicily Project, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University: 1693: Urban and Architectural Culture in the Baroque Age: The Rebuilding of the Sicilian Cities after the Great Earthquake, October 28-31, 1991
"Le carte parlanti: il concetto della stampa e la sua evoluzione nel Seicento," Italian Studies Seminar. Center for Literary and Cultural Studies, 61 Kirkland St., Cambridge, MA, 24 March 1993
"Readers and Reading in Eighteenth-Century Italy," Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing, National Conference, New York, June 9-11, 1993
"From Elite to Mass Culture? Printing and Publishing in Baroque Italy," Dept. of History, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, March 3, 1994
"What Happened After the Renaissance?" Birmingham Alabama Festival of Arts, theme: Italy 1994, sponsored by Harvard Alumni Club of Birmingham, April 14, 1994
"Myth and Reality in Eighteenth-Century Venice," Symposium on the Exhibition entitled "The Glories of Venice," National Gallery of Art, Washington DC, April 1, 1995
"The Literary Underground of Papal Rome," American Academy in Rome, Italy, 20 May, 1995.
"Fonti per la storia della scienza all'università di Padova tra '6 e '700," Facoltà di Scienze Politiche, University of Padua, June 7, 1995.
"Francesco Antonio Zaccaria: Enlightened Jesuit?" IX International Congress on the Enlightenment, Münster, 23-29 July, 1995
"Communications in Early Modern Italy: The Road to Modernity?" Seminar on Modernity, Boston University, University Professors Seminar, 11 October, 1995
"Political information and the Marketplace in Early Modern Italy," Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing, National Conference, Worcester, MA, July 18, 1996
Comment on session entitled "Early Modern Italian Universities," AHA conference, NYC, Jan. 4, 1997
Remarks on Presentation of Albert Gardin's edition of Giacomo Casanova, Translation of the Iliad into Venetian, Istituto Italiano di Cultura, NYC, Jan 28, 1997
"The Art of Information in an Age of Mechanical Reproduction," Faculty Seminar, Dept. of History, Harvard University, Feb. 13, 1997
"In a Big Round Hand: The Politics of Information in Seventeenth-Century Italy," Renaissance Seminar, Harvard University, Jan. 30, 1997
"Le réseaux d'information politique à Rome au XVIIe siècle," conference entitled Les Gazettes Européennes et l'Information Politique de l'Ancien Régime, Centre d'Études du XVIIIe Siècle, Université Lumière-Lyon 2, France, 6 June, 1997
Comment on session entitled, "The Politics of Information: News and Dissemination in Early Modern England," North American Conf. on British Studies, Pacific Grove, CA 10/31-11/2/97
"The Crime of Galileo," Dept. of History, Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ, March 22, 1998
"Bernini's Borrowed Books," Conference entitled: Bernini and Beyond: Baroque Cultures, Contexts, Representations, Center for Literary and Cultural Studies, Harvard, April 25, 1998; ALSO AT: Dept. of History, Bennington College, April 28, 1998; ALSO AT: Department of History and Civilization, European University Institute, San Domenico di Fiesole, Italy, Oct 28, 1998.
"Media, Information and Belief in Early Modern Europe," Conference entitled: Media History, Univ. of Westminster, Harrow, UK, July 8, 1998
"The Ptolemaic Astrological Tradition in the Seventeenth Century," International Society for the Classical Tradtion, Tübingen, Germany, July 30, 1998.
"The Wages of War: Battles, Prints and Entrepreneurs in Late Seventeenth-Century Venice," Conference entitled Pringing Matters. The Materiality of Print in Early Modern Europe, Fogg Art Museum, 32 Quincy St., Cambridge, Nov. 14, 1998. ALSO AT: Dept. of History, George Washington University, Feb. 13, 1999.
"El saldo de la guerra: pinturas de guerra y comercio a finales del siglo XVII," V Jornadas de Historia Militar: Imágenes de Guerra ante el conflicto sucesorio de España, 1700-13, Burgos, Spain, 9 March 1999.
"The Little Star that Wasn't There. Subjectivity and Science," Seminar on Objectivity and Subjectivity, European University Institute, San Domenico di Fiesole, 18 March 1999.
"Le jeu mystique des factions," Table Ronde: Factions locales et factions de cour, XVIe-XVIIe s., 19 March 1999, European University Institute.
"Cultura scientifica e mercato, secoli XVII-XVIII," Istituto di storia moderna, Facolta di lettere e filosofia, University of Padua, May 7, 1999
"The Last Prophecy of Morandi," Dept. of History, University of Strathclyde, Dec. 13, 1999 ALSO AT: University of Glasgow, Dec. 15, 1999 ALSO AT: University of Manchester, Dec. 17, 1999
"Galileo's Nemesis," Division of History and Social Science, Reed College, Jan. 28, 2000
"Astrology and the End of Science in Early Modern Italy," European University Institute, San Domenico di Fiesole, Italy, March 17, 2000
"Ceremonial Truth," Conference entitled: Bodies Building Power: Ceremonies and Ceremonial Toward Modernity, Center for European Studies, Harvard, May 20, 2000
"Scienza e accademie," Fondazione Giorgio Cini, congresso su Venezia e il Settecento, 16 November 2000
"The Morandi Affair and Galileo Galilei," Renaissance Society of America, Annual Meeting, Chicago 31 March 2001
"Osservazioni conclusive", presentation of Giovanni Baldinucci, Quaderno: Peste, guerra e carestia, Centro di documentazione per la storia dell'assistenza e della sanità fiorentina, Florence, June 14, 2001.
"Osservazioni conclusive," Convegno di studi: Annibale Mariotti, 1738-1801. Perugia, 14 December, 2001
Sociability and Rumor in Early Modern Europe, An Interdisciplinary Approach, session chair, Renaissance Society of America, annual meeting, 27 March 2003, Toronto
“Science and the Marketplace: Electricity and its Public in Eighteenth Century Italy,” conference on “The Fable of the Market”, IUB, Nov. 21, 2003
Comment, at History of Science Workshop, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 22 January 2004
“Giovanni de’ Medici: the Prince as Informer,” Istituto Olandese Roma, Round Table on Cultural and Political Brokerage in Early Modern Europe, 19-20 February 2004
“Products and Materials in Circulation. Don Giovanni de’ Medici as Connoisseur and Entrepreneur,” European Social Science History Conference, Berlin 24-7 March 2004
Introduction and chair, conference entitled :" Energy and Culture," IUB, 18-20 March 2004
chair and comment on session “Consumption and Differentiation in Early Modern Europe,” European Social Science History Conference, Berlin 24-7 March 2004
“History Repeats Itself,” seminar at University of Witten-Herdecke, Spring Academy, 22.06.04
“Knowledge and Information in Seventeenth-Century Europe,” seminar on Libertinism and Dissimulation, University of Munich, Renaissance Institute, 03.12.04
“Introduction and chair, session entitled “Change and Continuity in Energy Regimes,” at ASEH annual conference, Houston TX, 17.03.05
“Narrative and Truth: Giovanni de’ Medici and Galileo”, .in seminar entitled, Dialogues and Discourses: Conversing with Early Modern Natural Philosophy, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities, Cambridge University on April 6th, 2005
“The Verification of Fact in Early Science Periodicals,” Scientific Periodicals in Modern Europe ESF Workshop Herzog-August-Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel, 1-4 juin 2005
“Energy and Culture,” Round table discussion on Energy and Culture, EAERE 2005 Congress, IUB, 25 June 2005
“Narrative and Experiment in Early Modern Science Communication,” Technische Universität Chemnitz , Frühmoderne Naturwissenschaft und Kommunikation,. Eine wissenschaftliche Konferenz aus Anlass des 450. Todestages Georgius Agricolas., 24./25./26. November 2005
Chair and comment, conference entitled: "Scientific periodicals in modern Europe" at the Maison française d'Oxford from May 25 to May 27. 2006
“Le lezioni universitarie di Antonio Vallisneri”, Convegno su "Antonio Vallisneri. La figura, il contesto, le immagini storiografiche", che si terrà presso l'Università degli Studi di Milano dal 21 al 23 giugno 2006
“The Information Underground of Early Modern Italy,” conference entitled "Underground Publishing and the Public Sphere" July 27 to 29, 2006, in the Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin
“Culture and Commodities in Early Modern Italy,” European Economic History Conference, Helsinki, 21-25 August 2006, session 25
“Don Giovanni de’ Medici and Galileo,” American Historical Association Annual Meeting, January 4 and 7, 2007, Atlanta GA
“The University of Padua and the Learned Journal in the Early Eighteenth Century”, Colloque international Université d’Orléans, 24-26 mai 2007Les journaux savants, agents de la communication et de la construction des savoirs(XVIIe –XVIIIesiècles)
“Higher Education through the ages,” ISWI student week, Ilmenau 2007
Chair and conference concluding summary, Kulturgeschichtetag Linz 2007, 9-12 September.
Concluding Round Table, conference on “Energy in Changing Environments”, Jacobs U. December 2007
Chair and Introduction, conference entitled “Places of News”, Jacobs U. and Uni Bremen, December 2007
“Introduction” and chair, conference entitled “The Knowledge Problem: Transdisciplinary Approaches,” Jacobs U, April 2008
“Energia e cultura,” Luca Pacioli lecture series, Venice March 2008
“Knowledge and History,” University of California at Merced, Feb. 2008
“Lami and Zaccaria and the Learned World,” Workshop on Interplay between Journals, Jeanne Peiffer, and Andrea Seidler, University of Vienna, Dept of Finno-Ungaristik, 8 September, 2008
“Journals in Eighteenth Century Biological Instruction,” ESHS annual conference, Austrian Academy of Science, Vienna, 10 September 2008
“Olbers und die Wissenschaftler seiner Zeit,“ 18.10.08: Feier des 250. Geburtstages von Heinrich Wilhelm Olbers an der Jacobs University Bremen
“‘From Venice to Damascus in Eighty Days: Time and Space in Early Modern Europe,” Department of HIstory and Civilization, International University Institute, Florence, 12 January 2009
‘From Venice to Damascus in Eighty Days: Texts in Transit in the Early Modern World’ Department of Italian, University College Cork, 11 February. 2009. ALSO AT, Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, University of Virginia, October 15, 2009
“Livia’s New Clothes: Fashion and Danger in Late Renaissance Italy,” Department of History, University of Virginia, 16 September 2009
“The Trials of History in the Age of Pietro Giannone,” Academia Europea annual meeting, Naples, 25 September 2009
Author’s omments at presentation of book entitled Amore e guerra nel tardo Rinascimento, Florence, Archivio di Stato, 18 May 2010
“The Beauty of a Woman”, at First International Conference on Beauty, Florence, Museo Bellini, 28 May 2010
“Topographies of News,” European Association of Urban History International Conference, Ghent, 1-4 September 2010.
“Donna Livia’s New Clothes,” Archives of the Body conference, Hughes Hall, Cambridge UK, 8-9 September 2011
“A Mattress Maker’s Daughter,” Italian Studies in Ireland Research Colloquium, UCC 3 February 2012
“Dante: What a Machiavellian!” Dante Public Lecture Series, UCC, 8 Feb. 2012
1987: Society for
Italian Historical Studies Manuscript Prize for first draft of the book,
"Science, Politics and Society in Eighteenth-Century Italy"
1990: History of Education Society Article Award (for "Social Control and the Italian Universities")
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Editor (with Immacolata Amodeo) of series “Intercultural Knowledge”, Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier (DE).
Referee for: Journal of the History of Ideas, Comparative Studies in Society and History, Renaissance Quarterly, Journal of British Studies, Harvard University Press, Penn State University Press, University of Pennsylvania Press, Oxford University Press, National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship Program, NEH Conferences Program, Bunting Institute (Radcliffe) fellowships, Marcarthur Foundation.
Publishing and Politics; Scientific Revolution
New Cultural History; Courts in Europe; Galileo
History of Education; Arts and Power; Modern Italy
Culture and Marketplace; Early Modern Europe; Modern Spain
Renaissance Italy; History of Social Sciences; Media History
Baroque Europe; Propaganda; European Enlightenments
History of Contagion, History of Mathematics,
Love and War: Italian Perspectives; Natura e letteratura (in Italian)
Jacobs University teaching award “Best Professor of 2006-7” and “Best Professor of 2008-09”
HARVARD SERVICE (EXCEPT COMMITTEES)
Director, Social Studies Sophomore Program (1996); referee for Bunting Institute fellowships (Radcliffe), referee for Harvard Forum; Tutor in Social Studies at Leverett House; Harvard Alumni and College Library events; Affiliate, Center for European Studies
JACOBS SERVICE (EXCEPT COMMITTEES)
Faculty Council (2002-2009); President, University Club (2004-2009); chair of the assembly of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences (2002-7); co-director, Humanities Graduate Program. University Outreach programs (invited speaker); Donor events (invited speaker); University Club events (speaker); Faculty events; undergraduate intercultural events (invited speaker); College III events (invited speaker), “The Magical East” student conference (invited speaker) University service award received for 2007-8.
Conference: “Renaissance Now!,” 9-10 December 2010, University College Cork. Concept, organization, logistics. Collaboration: Daragh O’Connell
Transdisciplinary Workshop: “The Knowledge Problem: Transdisciplinary Approaches”, 4-5 April 2008, Jacobs University Bremen (Concept, organization and logistics)
International interdisciplinary conference: “Places of News” Jacobs University, Dec. 6-8 2007, University of Bremen and Jacobs University. Concept, organization and logistics
International conference, “Energy in Changing Environments,” Dec. 13-15, 2007. Jacobs University. Co-organization with Gert Brunekreeft.
International interdisciplinary Conference: “Time and Space on the Road to Modernity: The Emergence of Contemporaneity in Early Modern Europe,” December 15-16 IUB, Bremen (Concept, organization and logistics:)
Local co-organizer, European-American Universities Forum/American Association of Universtiy Administrators Annual Conference, IUB, 23 July-1 August 2005; panel chair
interdisciplinary conference entitled :" Energy and Culture," IUB,
18-20 March 2004. Concept, organization and logistics
International interdisciplinary conference entitled :" Bodies Building Power: Ceremonies and Ceremonial Toward Modernity," Harvard, Center for European Studies, May 20, 2000. Concept, organization and logistics
Interdisciplinary conference entitled "Bernini and Beyond: Baroque Cultures, Contexts, Representations," Center for Literary and Cultural Studies, April 25, 1998. Concept, organization and logistics
New England Early Modern and British Studies Group, 1997-8, monthly speakers and seminars.
Italian Studies Group, Center for European Studies, 1999-2000, monthly speakers and seminars
UNIVERSITY LEADERSHIP SEMINARS
Policy Seminar 8-9.10.04, Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften,
European American University Forum, 08.11.04, John Cabot University, Rome (panelist)
EXAMPLES OF MAJOR PUBLICATIONS CURRENTLY UNDER WAY
The Marble Prince: Don Giovanni de’ Medici A case study of the impact of warfare and military strategy on intellectual and cultural life in the late Renaissance, including literature, art, science and technology.
“European Communication Networks in the Making,” multi-university project, focuses diverse hermeneutical and information science methods on archival materials regarding the first early modern European communication networks especially devoted to the transmission of information regarding political and social events.